Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lets get the personal story done with

   Before I start bombarding this page with fitness and nutritional ideas and reviews, I feel I should share why I am here in the first place. Now at this point I can totally understand why you aren't reading this far in and have already hit that little red box with an X in it in the upper corner. But if you actually read that you are in fact here, or actually you are wherever you are but you are projecting yourself into the Internets virtual realm. I promise to stop with this philosophical BS...eventually. First thing you should know about me; despite being in the fitness profession, my initial degree in college was a BA in English Subject matter, so I have all of these heady ideas that drive me crazy and will do the same to you leading us all into a huge existential crisis. Lets move on...

  Despite going through a major weight loss program in middle school when I was about 30lbs. over weight and playing hockey, football, and baseball for the majority of my childhood, my late high school years and college years consisted of a major lack of sleep, bad eating, and no physical activity. Sure I wasn't gaining weight at this point, but it all caught up to me in one big ol' ugly package that was delivered to me while on vacation in Orlando. That wonderful delivery was my first bought of diagnosed Major Depression and GAD (General Anxiety Disorder). What you say?! No way! Not Nick the kid that wore all black through out high school, periodically wore eye make-up, had 8 inch bangs on one side of his head, and sang in a screamo band?! (Ya, not really a shocker to anyone close to me neither). Yet still it didn't feel like it was part of me. It felt like I got a flu in my brain that I couldn't shake and it was making me miserable. I couldn't sleep, control my emotions, I was eating little to nothing, and saw no bright lights along the way. It was a somewhat hellish experience. Man did I feel sick. But lets not talk too much about that crappity crap crap crap and look on how I got out of that stage of my life.

  My doctors helped me in a lots of ways, trying this and that, but two major things really changed me for the better. Running and meditation. Two things I knew nothing about and one that I already knew I hated (Honestly, the mile runs in high school were frickin' misery). I was desperate to get better, so I was willing to try anything. I started by running to the end of my street and back. This quarter mile was a killer. Keep in mind I was actually a little under weight. Just because you are skin and bones does not mean you are healthy!! It was tough at first. Everything hurt, my lungs and heart hated me, and it was so difficult to get out the door and on the pavement. But I did, and I soon discovered my second form of motivation. Since I had such a wonderful support team helping me through my tough time, I wanted to return the favor. So I signed up for the Disneyland Half Marathon as a Team for Life member to raise money for cancer patients through Lazarex. This cemented it. I had to run since I had people depending on me. And run I did, and man am I happy about it.

  5 months later I did my first half marathon with no stops in about 1:45. Not spectacular, but it was my first one! I was just happy I made it. Now I can't stop running. I run almost everyday, lift weights, mess around with P90X, meditate, do yoga, and I couldn't feel better. I've ran multiple races as well including the Malibu half, Spartan, and Gladiator races, and am about to take my lovely fiance on a stroll through the Disneyland Half again this September. I am also working through NASM as a personal trainer.What I discovered is that there is this incredible interrelation between the mind and body. I mean, if running could help my mind, then calming my mind must help my body!

 So now I meditate. I can float about 4 to 5 feet off the ground and can visit any place in the world in a matter of seconds! Not really. This is the kind of stuff a lot of people associate with meditating, but this is so not the case. Simple posture, breathing techniques, and mind focus is all it takes to take you to the next level in fitness. And it has saved my life. I cannot emphasize this enough! You may think I'm crazy, but soon I will post blogs on how to meditate properly and if you are feeling adventurous, you can try to prove me wrong. Your mind needs exercise just like your body people!

  Anyways, there you have it. That's my story. Whether or not you wanna listen to my fitness and health advice is your call, but I promise if you come back here I will share all of my tips and info on body fitness, mind fitness, and how we can build a stronger sense of belonging through our interrelation with the earth. Ya it's hippyish, ya it's a little holistic, but what I've done has worked. AND I WANT TO HELP YOU! (And entertain you with my mistakes and periodic lack of common sense).

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment